Magic: The Gathering
Magic: The Gathering, or MTG or just "Magic", is the first and foremost collectible card game in the world. Players play the game using pre-built decks, and they collect the cards they need by purchasing random packs, by trading with friends, or by purchasing selected cards at game stores. Players take the part of a sorcerer engaged in a magical duel, where playing a card is equivalent to casting a spell.
To get started with Magic:
- Pick up an introductory deck. The current decks for Return to Ravnica are a great deal, with well constructed 60 card decks and two free packs for $15. These decks illustrate how a Magic deck works, and come complete with the rules of the game..
- Play some games with friends. This is especially good if you play intro decks versus each other.
- Pick up a few booster packs ($4 each) and reinforce your deck with new cards.
- Maybe pick up an event deck, approximately $25. These are coherent decks intended to give you a fighting chance in a Friday Night Magic event.
- Start attending local Magic events! The Whiz Store has Friday Night Magic starting at 6PM, Saturday Commander starting at 8:30PM, Sunday leagues from noon to 4pm, and Modern format tournaments on Sunday afternoons from 4PM until done.